HISTORICAL BACKGROUND  

Electron Microscope Society of India was inaugurated on 2nd December 1961 at Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics by Late Prof. S. N. Bose as a collective effort of several scientists including Prof. N. N. Das Gupta and Dr. (Mrs.) S. M. Sirsat. The first conference of EMSI was held on 2nd and 3rd December 1961. Dr. N. N. Das Gupta was elected as first president of the Society. The society was formally registered with the Registrar of Joint Stock Companies, Calcutta in March 1962. The foundation membership of the society consisted of about 50 members engaged in electron microscopy work in about 15 laboratories in India. Second conference of the society was held at Indian Cancer Research Centre, Bombay in July 1963.

The society is one of its kind having members from vastly different disciplines viz., Material Science, Biological Science, Medical Science, Metallurgical Science, Forensic Science, Agricultural Science, Geological Science etc. Similarly it has members from different parts of India and while constituting the executive committee of the society, not only the efforts are made to have representation from different disciplines and regions of India but also its conferences are held in different parts of the country (Proposed activities 2015-2017). EMSI is happy to announce that the total membership has far exceeded 1200, during 2015.

Following the tradition, the society has been conducting Annual Meetings regularly, the latest being in Varanasi in June, 2016. The next International conference on electron microscopy and annual general meeting is planned to be held in Chennai, during 17th July to 19th July, 2017.

The society is affiliated with International Federation of Electron Microscope Societies (now renamed as IFSM) ever since 1962 and in fact was its 15th Member at that time.

:: © 2015-2017 EMSI || You are visitor no. 1409 since November 01, 2015 || Best viewed in IE 11+ / Google Chrome 38+ / Mozilla Firefox with 1024 X 768 pixels